Senior Data Scientist (Genomics/Proteomics)
The Biocomputing Unit at the Institute for Health Sciences in Aragon (IACS) is looking for an
exceptional Senior Data Scientist to lead new research projects based on the value of genomics
and proteomics information to create useful information and incorporate them to the daily
medical practice for better and more personalized healthcare services as well as to support
other research groups.
the Institute for Health Sciences in Aragon (IACS) supports stable research and
innovation groups in the areas of clinical and translational medical research,
biomedicine, public health, health systems and policy research. As part of its support to
biomedical research, we provide specialized scientific services through our 10 Research
Core Facilities covering Genomics, Proteomics, Cell Culture and Flow Cytometry,
Anatomic Pathology and Microscopy, Medical Imaging and Phenotyping and
Experimental Surgery. Moreover, IACS is the regional authority for authorizing and
monitoring (private and public) randomized control clinical trials as well as post
authorization observational studies for drugs and devices.
The candidate will join the Biocomputing Unit, an enthusiastic team directly involved in the
Aragón Regional Health Authority BIGAN project, a Big Data infrastructure for research in
healthcare; and the Spanish National Health Service Clinical Practice Guidelines Program BiGS
project, a Smart Digital Library to answer patient and healthcare professionals using all available
The aim for this position is to lead a new genomic and proteomic medicine service for the
regional healthcare system in close collaboration with the Genomics and Proteomics Unit at the
Institution as well as to support researchers from different groups by delivering custom analyses,
facilitating access to datasets and ensuring optimal use of the Genomics and Proteomics Data
generated and developing research within the multidisciplinary team.
– A PhD in a quantitative or biological discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer
Science or Biochemistry with at least 6 years of postdoctoral work in fields related to statistical
genetics, genomics, or proteomics.
More info at https://araid.es/en/content/international-call-recruitment-researchers-2017)
– Strong evidence of experience in genomics/proteomics research and data analysis using
large genomic datasets of next generation sequencing data alongside clinical data relevant
to Genomics/Proteomics. Strong publication record in the field
– Experience with Unix operating systems, including shell scripts.
– Skilled programmer in languages such as Python and R.
– Excellent experience on tools such as Torrent Suite/Ion Reporter, SAMTools SAMTools,
Picard, TMAP, GATK, ANNOVAR, Ensembl perl API, Tophat, R-Bioconductor, Mascot,
ProteinPilot, SameSpots, PDQuest, ProteinPilot, GO, IPA, KEGG, Reactome, Cytoscape,
Osprey and String, Skyline, Multiquant… to problem solve and answer research questions.
– Experience with cloud-scale data processing and high-performance computing
– Experience using of databases and public repositories.
– Able to take initiative, but also able to work as part of a cohesive team of
– Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and/or Spanish-
– Ability to work independently with a high degree of motivation and focus, and to complete
tasks according to priorities with minimal supervision.